An unprecedented situation calls for unprecedented solution. Six decades of Indian higher system has limited its focus on the formal sector that constitutes 8% of the labour force. The rest of 92% in informal sector is outside the ambit of the universities. The informal sector lives in graded levels of economic disadvantage – all in spite of increase in GDP. Serious economic, regional, social, and gender disparities in education, health and income levels are indicators of low human development. Mass liberal education with increased enrolment in professional education has not addressed the problems of unemployment and un-employability of the graduates. The university system has a requirement to realign its policies, processes and educational services to facilitate holistic societal development and harmony.
Gujarat, the state renowned for entrepreneurial spirit, accounts for 16% of the industrial investment and production at national level with less than one sixteenth of the population. The per capita income and GDP growth rate of Gujarat is much higher than for the nation, true to its reputation as the "Growth Engine of India". With its focus on industrial progress and infrastructure development, Gujarat believes in inclusive growth and income rise across all sections of the society. The state recognizes the criticality of skill training and continuous skill upgrade amidst globalized competition and, encourages educational institutions to take up quantitative and qualitative measures for capacity building. To support private initiatives, Gujarat has come up with a legislative provision through Gujarat Private Universities Act, 2009.
TeamLease Education Foundation (TLEF) had submitted a proposal for establishing TeamLease Skills University (TLSU) in Gujarat for which an LOI was issued in Feb’12. Subsequently, State Assembly has passed the Gujarat Private University Act (amendment) on 1st April’13 approving establishment of TeamLease Skills University – India’s First Vocational University.
TLSU will offer skill based academic programs to students with higher secondary or equivalent qualification. Our programs will enhance employability of these students and provide human resource to the fast growing manufacturing and service sectors in Gujarat.
TLSU plans to offer Certificate, Diploma, Advance Diploma, 2 Years Associate Degree and Degree programs in following fields during Phase I launch from July’14.
- Mechatronics and allied multi-skill manufacturing disciplines
- IT Infrastructure and Hardware
- Finance, Accounting services and operations
- Hospitality and Tourism
TLEF in its efforts to establish TLSU as a “Light House” of Vocational Education in Gujarat / India is also in dialogue with few nationally and internationally reputed institutions in each domain which it aims to operate, to bring best practices.
TLSU will support Gujarat in its vocational education and training initiatives. TLSU programs will provide vertical link to the pass-outs of Vocational Higher Secondary Schools as well as ITI candidates, which can synergize enrolment in these institutions.
TLSU further plans to offer consultancy, skill up-gradation and continuing education services to the Micro, Small and Medium enterprises. With the support of the Government of Gujarat, TLSU will participate in skill inculcation of the informal labour and community enrichment education. TLSU will employ blended mode of instruction using faculty expertise, hands-on training, cloud computing capability and industry interaction.
National Employability Through Apprenticeship Program (NETAP) is a Public Private Partnership of TeamLease Skills University, CII, and NSDC under the National Employability Enhancement Mission of the Ministry of HRD (AICTE). It will help unemployed youth to build skills through Learning by doing and Learning while earning along with providing them with access to practical skills. NETAP proposes to appoint 2 lac apprentices every year for the next 10 years. At peak capacity, it will be the world’s largest apprenticeship program.
Youth Unemployability is a growing challenge because 10 lac youth will enter the labour force every month for the next 20 years
- Apprentices are a powerful vehicle for improving employability because of learning-by-doing and learning-while-earning
- India has only 3 lac apprentices (Germany has 3 million, Japan has 10 million, and China has 20 million)
- India has only 25,000 employers appointing apprentices. UK has 2 lac and one state of Australia (Queensland) has 26,000.
- The Apprentice Act of 1961 mandates that every employer appoint apprentices but it is rigid, unevenly implemented, and ineffective
CASE FOR EMPLOYERS
- Building a pipeline for bottom of pyramid hiring
- Clear legal structure to take candidates for a test drive with no obligation to hire
- Possible lower attrition given apprenticeship credit and degree connectivity
- Single window for national compliance
- Stipends paid qualify as CSR spend; do well and do good
- Trainees can be appointed for flexible durations of 3 to 24 months
- Trainees can be appointed in any trade or function at any location in India
- Trainees are paid a consolidate stipend with no deductions that must at least be equal to the applicable unskilled minimum wage (it can be higher)
- All trainees will be enrolled in a free 200 hour online course for soft skills, English and computers. They can further enroll voluntarily or via the employer for other TLSU certificate/diploma/associate degree courses delivered online
- All trainees will be enrolled as students of Teamlease Skills University
- TLSU will sign an agreement with the employer for the payment of stipends (pass through to candidate), an administrative fee (to meet costs for the non-profit operation that will decline with scale) and providing training slots
- The employer will receive a single invoice for stipend amounts and service charges every month
- TLUS will provide trainees with a unique id number, a call centre in 13 languages, a web portal, and handle all regulatory filings
- At the end of the training period, the employer will have the first right to hire the candidate else he or she will return to TLSU
Visit our website: www.netap.in