This applied technology position creates electronic tools that are used to create embedded software, or manufacture and service Cumminsâ products. People in these positions will have involvement in specification, design, implementation, testing and/or release of tools.
Investigates electronic tools problems, understands causal mechanisms, recommends appropriate action, owns problem resolution and documents results with guidance from more experienced team members.
Applies and supports the improvement of electronic tools development processes and tools. Processes include Electronic Tools Product Line (ETPL) common workflow, 7 step problem solving, application product development (requirements, design, development test, support). Tools include platform specific compilers and toolsets for Windows, Linux, Android, iOS, software lifecycle tools (such as Integrity) and requirements management (Integrity, Doors),configuration/change management.
Obtains input and negotiates with product and software development teams and delivers verified software features, components, builds and support to product teams and end users.
Makes decisions in the areas of software requirements, design, and test that impact local component and feature design.
Owns problem resolution for moderately complex components, products, systems, subsystems or services with a greater degree of technical complexity and ambiguity over the entry level engineer level and with greater accountability to the project team.
Provides independent execution of established work processes and systems, while still developing technology or product knowledge; engages with the improvement of systems and processes.
Involves minimal direct management of people, but could involve the coordination and direction of work amongst technicians and/or temporary student employees.
Contributes effectively toward team goals, exhibits influence within a work group and continues to develop proficiency in the competency areas critical to success in the role.Skills
PC/Mobile Software Design and Construction - Constructs customer, service, and engineering tools that reliably satisfy stakeholder needs to enable development, support and use of Cummins' electronic products; verifies tool updates to ensure quality tools.
Design and Application of Datalinks and Communications - Specifies software features that send and receive information on proprietary and public datalinks; specifies datalink architectures for Cummins' products; configures datalink features in Cummins' products.
Cross-Functional Design Integration - Translates the value package requirements that include the voices of many stakeholders into virtual designs, and communicates the capability of the design through an approved cross-functional design review.
Product Problem Solving - Solves product problems using a process that protects the customer; determines the assignable cause; implements robust, data-based solutions; and identifies the systemic root causes and recommended actions to prevent problem reoccurrence.
Systems Thinking - Defines the system of interest by drawing the boundaries, identifying its context within its environment, its interfaces, and that it has a lifecycle to aid in planning the problem statement, scope and deliverables ; analyzes linkages and interactions between elements that comprise the system of interest by using appropriate methods, models and integration of outcomes to understand the system, predict its behavior and devise modifications to it in order to produce the desired effects.
System Requirements Engineering - Uses appropriate methods and tools to translate stakeholder needs into verifiable requirements to which designs are developed; establishes acceptance criteria for the system of interest through analysis, allocation and negotiation; tracks the status of requirements throughout the system lifecycle; assesses the impact of changes to system requirements on project scope, schedule, and resources; creates and maintains information linkages to related artifacts.
Product Platform Development - Integrates all of the market and key customer needs of a given product platform into a comprehensive and holistic development plan; verifies platform capability for all planned and approved architectural variants within the boundaries of market use rather than the boundaries of any single customer within the target usage markets.
Decision quality - Making good and timely decisions that keep the organization moving forward.
Drives results - Consistently achieving results, even under tough circumstances.
Collaborates - Building partnerships and working collaboratively with others to meet shared objectives.
Communicates effectively - Developing and delivering multi-mode communications that convey a clear understanding of the unique needs of different audiences.
Self-development - Actively seeking new ways to grow and be challenged using both formal and informal development channels. Education, Licenses, Certifications
College, university, or equivalent Bachelor's degree in Engineering or other relevant technical disciplines is required. Post-graduate (Master's) degree relevant to this discipline area may be required for select roles.
This position may require licensing for compliance with export controls or sanctions regulations.Experience
Prior entry level engineering equivalent work experience in a relevant discipline area is required. Knowledge of MS Office tools is preferredPrimary Skill Set
Roles And Responsibilities
- 2 to 6 years of application development experience
- Strong OOP in C and .NET design fundamentals are must.
- Strong technical knowledge with 2 yrs experience in C , Microsoft .NET framework, C#, Win forms, WPF and WCF using Visual Studio and other supported IDEs required for the development activities.
- Strong OOP in C and .NET design fundamentals are must. C and .net data structures, design pattern are must.
- Good hands on third party tools - Controls and components is expected and added advantage.
- Knowledge or experience with Web servers IIS, Apache, Continuous build integrations etc
- Experience of working in geographically distributed and culturally diverse work-groups with strong team play and collaborative skills
- Experience with projects in multiple technologies and functions.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Proven experience in building scalable and robust applications
- Applications Developer 100% hands-on role.
- The development and enhancement of the Engineering tools developed using C#.net, WCF, WPF and multithreading, and supporting databases, PL/SQL .
- The production of detailed technical analysis, robust design and development.
- The Live support for the Engineering tools system, including investigative work, and user liaison where required.
- Definition and adherence to programming standards. Unit and integration testing of developed code.
- Code Reviews.
- Must be able to participate in a culture of knowledge sharing- within the development team globally.
- Maintenance of application documentation.