Software Developers at IBM are the backbone of our strategic initiatives to design, code, test, and provide industry-leading solutions that make the world run today - planes and trains take off on time, bank transactions complete in the blink of an eye and the world remains safe because of the work our software developers do. Whether you are working on projects internally or for a client, software development is critical to the success of IBM and our clients worldwide. At IBM, you will use the latest software development tools, techniques and approaches and work with leading minds in the industry to build solutions you can be proud of.Your Role and Responsibilities- Providing remote technical support assistance to our clients using Problem Determination (PD) and Problem Source Identification (PSI) skills.
- Performing and managing medium to complex production (Technical) support tasks and activities that require in-depth subject matter knowledge regarding application and its functionality.
- In addition to determining recommendations for problem resolution, our engineers communicate action plans to our clients to ensure that the client is satisfied with steps towards resolution or the problem's root cause.
- Our engineers continually flex their technology skills through driving problem resolution using improvements to existing and/or new technical Support tools and procedures which can often include examining source code, providing feedback to development for product improvement, creating test cases, creating tools or providing debug modules to our clients.
This position is specifically for Technical Support Engineer candidates who will be part of a worldwide team responsible for diagnosing and troubleshooting appliance hardware, software & firmware problems within IBM Automation spanning multiple operating systems, virtual, and cloud.
Who You Are:
- You are highly motivated and have a passion for technology.
- You thrive on collaboration, working side by side with people of all backgrounds and disciplines, and you have very strong verbal and written communication skills.
- You are great at debugging, troubleshooting, designing and implementing solutions to complex technical issues.
- You have basic understanding of software development and programming languages.
- Must be willing to work on a weekend rotation to lead diagnosis of critical customer outages.Required Technical and Professional ExpertiseOverall 5-10 years experience
- Experience in Distributed/UNIX/Linux operating systems
- Experience working in public or private cloud and knowledge of infrastructure and software
- Knowledge of IBM Storage technologies eg. V7000, FS900
- Deep understanding of Networking
- Knowledge on virtualized solutions eg. VMWare, KVM
- Knowledge of Red Hat technologies eg. RHEL, OpenShift, RedHat Satellite Server
- Working knowledge of database systems
- Ability to troubleshoot and identify the root cause of issues
- English language skills including read, write and speak
- Communication and customer focus skills – be able to understand customer problems and articulate complex problems
- Bachelors Degree in Computer Science or related field preferred
Preferred Technical and Professional ExpertiseAbout Business Unit
IBM’s Cloud and Cognitive software business is committed to bringing the power of IBM’s Cloud and Watson/AI technologies to life for our clients and ecosystem partners around the world. IBM provides you with the most comprehensive and consistent approach to development, security and operations across hybrid environments—with complete software solutions for business and IT operations, development, data science, security, and management. Our experts and software capabilities help organizations develop applications once and deploy them anywhere, integrate security across the breadth of their IT estate, and automate operations with management visibility. With IBM, you also have access to new skills and methods, governance and management approaches, and a deep ecosystem of industry experts and partners.Your Life @ IBM
What matters to you when you’re looking for your next career challenge?
Maybe you want to get involved in work that really changes the world? What about somewhere with incredible and diverse career and development opportunities – where you can truly discover your passion? Are you looking for a culture of openness, collaboration and trust – where everyone has a voice? What about all of these? If so, then IBM could be your next career challenge. Join us, not to do something better, but to attempt things you never thought possible.
Impact. Inclusion. Infinite Experiences. Do your best work ever.About IBM
IBM’s greatest invention is the IBMer. We believe that progress is made through progressive thinking, progressive leadership, progressive policy and progressive action. IBMers believe that the application of intelligence, reason and science can improve business, society and the human condition. Restlessly reinventing since 1911, we are the largest technology and consulting employer in the world, with more than 380,000 IBMers serving clients in 170 countries.Location Statement
For additional information about location requirements, please discuss with the recruiter following submission of your application.Being You @ IBM
IBM is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, pregnancy, disability, age, veteran status, or other characteristics. IBM is also committed to compliance with all fair employment practices regarding citizenship and immigration status.